Teckking through

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Teckking through

Post  Richard on Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:54 pm

Does anyone have experience of walking their llamas along public rights of way that individuals object to? In recent months, I have been challenged twice for walking my llama. The first one was by a local councilor and chairman of the footpaths committee who challenged me because he said someone had complained about it. I have since had my suspicions that it was a local dog walker who gives me a disapproving look if our paths cross. More recently, it was a farmer with whom I have had my differences in the past who suggested it was inciting his bull to act violently. I have researched my rights and cannot find anything to stop me using what is actually a bridleway and for the most part it is illegal for a farmer to free range his bulls. I have to say that these are a tiny majority of the many people I see, the remainder of whom like to stop and enquire about the llamas.

Richard

Back to top Go down

Re: Teckking through

Post  Tim Crowfoot on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:03 pm

This is probably too late to be useful but here is a reply anyway.

Firstly public footpaths are only open to the public and recognised companion animals - this is essentially dogs on public footpaths and dogs and horses, donkeys mules on public bridleways. Unfortunately llamas are not recognised as companion animals. This does not mean that you cannot take a llama on the right of way but you do need to seek the permission of the owner or owners of the land over which the right of way passes. This can sometimes be a problem!

However it is the landowner who decides not the local council or other people although they can make an objection to the landowner. Landowners can also be worried about public liability should a llama injure someone when they had given permission for their land to be used.

One of our members has had a lot of trouble with horse owners who used a bridleway she wanted to take llamas along. The landowner was sympathetic but was swayed by the objections from the horse community. To be fair many horses are quite alarmed by llamas and can unseat their riders etc so we do have to respect their position.

We regularly take our llamas into the local forest with the permission of the Forestry Commission and as you have said the public loves to see them and we have rarely had any problems.

If you want to do formal treks then it is essential that you get all your permissions lined up and full insurance in place!

I hope this helps little.

Tim Crowfoot

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-09-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum