Help and advice about llamas...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Help and advice about llamas...

Post  LoLo on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Hi all,
My mother-in-law has five llamas, the first ones were obtained by my late father-in-law over 20 years ago. The stock now stands at 4 males (all entire) and one female. These llamas all descend from the original ones as there have never been any castrations or record keeping. The animals have had absolutely no handling and have never been vaccinated, wormed or had their nails clipped. My mother-in-law will be 80 next year and her husband died six year ago.

The farm is in a very poor state and the hedging and fencing is all going to have to be replaced along with the repair and reroofing of all of the farm buildings (long term jobs as and when money allows). All in all, she has finally realised that she has to let the llamas go. I have been to see a local llama breeder who has been very kind and given me some advice; he even came to look at the land and the llamas for me. They feel that if we keep the llamas we will have to have all the males castrated and re fence the land and build shelters and a coral to make it safe and secure for them. This is not going to be an option for us due to the huge scale of what need to be done and the lack of funds to do it. I asked them about re homing them but they felt that the best option would be to have them euthanized because they are in bread stock, un castrated, never vaccinated or wormed and we canít control them.

They are climbing onto the hedges because that have eaten everything that they can reach and the fencing is just very poor barbed wire with posts that can be pulled out of the ground. We have just had one who had a very nasty cut when he forced his way over the barbed wire into the garden (needless to say, the vet couldnít get anywhere near him to have a look so it was antibiotic powder in the food which seems to have done the trick.)

I am having many sleepless nights with the worry over these animals, I have moved to the property (180 miles form my husband and our home) so that I can feed them every day, I am buying food from the farm supplier and getting ivy from the trees around the farm and giving them carrots and keeping an eye on them (as well as the mother-in-law ;0) but I don't know what to do now and it seems to have all fallen on my shoulders????

Can anyone tell me if it is right to euthanize these animals and is it a thing that is allowed?...it seems very brutal and I find it hard to be even considering this, but they can't stay here anymore. Or is there anyone out there who would be willing to take them in. I have looked on the Llama rescue web site but they are not taking in anything at the moment.

I would be most grateful to hear from anyone who can offer some help or advice,

Kind regards

Lorna Crying or Very sad

LoLo

Back to top Go down

llamas

Post  yvsllama on Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:24 am

I am sorry you have found yourself in this situation you do not say where you are if you would like to phone me I would be happy to give you more advice ant try to help.

Euthanasia can be done in a couple of ways and depending on whether or not you would be able to have someone who is experienced in handling these type of animals would determine which way would be best for you also it helps if you have a good vet or 'knackerman' that you know will do the job properly.

Even though these animals are older and as you say interbred it may be possible to rehome once gelded if they are generally friendly ie. not aggressive towards humans I do sometimes get requests for animals to roam large areas particularly with lambing ( I am not suggesting any animal is a suitable guard animal )

It may be that by euthanasing the older ones and castrating others so you have only a couple of them then you may well be able to cope with keeping them

Please call me on 07971377993 and I will try and help you with this

Yvonne Parfett
Rehoming co-ordinater BLS

yvsllama

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum