Receptive females

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Receptive females

Post  r.cox on Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:46 am

I have a female llama who is experienced as a mother and was recently covered on a number of occassions by an experienced stud with whom she was staying. I am optimistic that she is pregnant but find that she still readily submits to any other male, gelded or entire. I will eventually have her scanned but has anyone else found the 'spit off' a poor indication of pregnancy?.

r.cox

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-10-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Receptive females

Post  mlonghurst on Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:09 pm

We allow our stud males to run with their females all year round and so tend to use the "spit off" method as an indicator of when the female has taken and it is pretty accurate. However, there have been a number of ocassions when one of the stud males has mounted a 100% pregnant female and the female has given birth just 6 weeks later with no problems.

So, for us the spit off method is a pretty accurate indicator of pregnancy, but for whatever reason, certain females will attract the attentions of a stud male even after pregnant.

Hope this helps.

Kind Regards, Mike L

mlonghurst

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  r.cox on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:04 pm

Hi Mike
Thanks for your response. It appears more a case of a flirting pregnant female than amorous male. Have you experienced this?
Richard

r.cox

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-10-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mlonghurst on Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:13 pm

Hi Richard,

We do witness both light and heavily pregnant females flirting with both our stud males and also with the gelded males in adjacent fields (that keeps the stud males on their toes).

Sorry, but have been a bit busy outside as one of our females gave birth to a cria at 1400 today (temprature outside is 34Degs) and this is the bigest cria I have every seen in my life. Mum and baby doing well at the moment Very Happy .

Kind Regards, Mike L

mlonghurst

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: