Are Llamas "Rubbers"

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Are Llamas "Rubbers"

Post  JML on Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:17 pm

From my other posts on this forum, we will be shortly taking delivery of our first Llamas. I have fenced the three sides of my land to a high stanard, however our existing party fence is not as stable as I would have liked. Will Llamas rub against fences? If so I may need to enhance the integrity of it. As ever any advice will be greatfully recieved.

John Lawrence

JML

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Rubbing llamas

Post  REGISTRAR on Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:32 am

Hi

I dont think they rub - but they do lean over - "grass always greener on the other side" and all that. Particularly if there is a tasty hedge the other side. We incur broken fences just for this reason.

Regards
Vivienne Ives

REGISTRAR
Admin

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Are Llamas "Rubbers"

Post  mlonghurst on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:32 pm

We get both under and over grazers. Some prefer to simply lean onto the fence and push it down to eat the grass or hedging on the other side and we have some that simply cush down and push their necks underneath the fence and get to the other side that way. Rolling Eyes

Rgds, Mike L

mlonghurst

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Are Llamas "Rubbers"

Post  Brookfieldllamas on Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:54 am

We have never had a broken fence from Llamas, they do not appear to be too hard on fencing and do not seem to rub (unlike sheep or goats), they will lean over fencing , and get under our post and rail fencing if they kush and roll- one of our females has found she can do this, but the others don't seem to try!
Brookfieldllamas

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2010-05-27

View user profile http://www.brookfieldfarms.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Llama rubbers

Post  Robert Dewar on Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:28 am

Our experience is different to some of the other owners in this strand.
You have erected strong fencing and we have no problems with our post and rail, but the post and wire is weaker.
Two or three of our 16 llamas rub themselves by walking along the fence line and pushing hard. Several fence posts have been snapped or weakened at ground level. Most also lean through the fence to reach hedges. Our fencing was installed 6 years ago and we will need to replace or strengthen a few posts soon.
Party fences are very important so I'd want a guaranteed firm double fence at this point.

Robert Dewar

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-01-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum