Llama standing strangely

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Llama standing strangely

Post  Ali on Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Hi. I wonder if anyone has come across their llamas standing strangely at all. Went out to the field this morning and our 2 year old llama appeared to have the bottom of their right hindleg pivoting the wrong way so that the pad was facing upwards. He seemed to have weight on that leg in that position. It all looked very uncomfortable. When I approached him he did straighten it and then walked across the field not in any apparent discomfort. Should I still be concerned? Part of the reason I am worried is that he kicked out quite a few times last week when he was in the pen and bashed his legs several times against the metal hurdles quite hard. It was all very distressing.
Hopefully I am worrying about nothing but would be grateful for any advice.

Thanks
Ali

Ali

Back to top Go down

Re: Llama standing strangely

Post  mlonghurst on Tue Jul 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Hi Ali,

I have seen llamas do this very briefly during play but not actually standing that way. If you llama had inured himself during the kicking episode and was in pain or discomfort then he would be limping or hopping (holding one pad off the ground) and as he did not then I would say you had nothing to fear.

Kind Regards, Mike L

mlonghurst

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thanks

Post  alison on Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:25 pm

Hi Mike
Thanks for your reply. It is good to have reassurance. We haven't seen him do it again since and he ran across the field to get some apple the other day so he does seem ok. It was just really weird. No sign of any limping etc so I think he is fine. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Ali

alison

Back to top Go down

Llama Standing Strangely

Post  vicki woodward on Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:29 am

I thought it was only our Clara who did this!! She used to stand in that position quite often last year, haven't seen her do it for a while now and she certainly wasn't lame or appearing to be in any pain. Vet checked her over and couldn't find anything obvious so we just left her to stand like that if she so wished!! It did look very odd though!!
vicki woodward

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ali on Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:53 pm

Thanks Vicki. It is great to know that it is nothing to worry about. I really though he had broken his leg, it looked so strange!
I haven't seen him do it since.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Best wishes
Ali

ali

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: