Over Feeding Llamas?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Over Feeding Llamas?

Post  JML on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:48 pm

We often feed our two llamas carrots. We also have a lot of dog walkers passing the llamas field and leave a bag of carrots at the field entrance so they can feed them.

Recently whilst walking in the field with the llamas they are becoming fairly boisterous and I expect wanting to be fed. Can you / have we over fed them with carrots?

Any advice on the clover question posted a while ago would be great too.

Thanks

John

JML

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2009-11-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Over Feeding Llamas?

Post  mlonghurst on Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:19 am

I do not think that your llamas are being ovefed but what has happended is that they have come to expect these treats and it has become part of their routine, when the routine is changed (i.e no carrots) then the llamas are confused and you then witness a change in their behaviour as a result. We have signs on our boundaries asking people not to feed the llamas because the French seem to love comming along and throing all their stale bread into the fields for the llamas, the llamas do not eat it but it could attract rodents that we do not want.

Rgds, Mike L

mlonghurst

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Caroline on Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:50 pm

I train my llamas and feed pieces of carrot as a reward. One of them has become fairly bad mannered and when he sees carrots he is likely to spit at the other llamas, or even at me on occasion. At other times he is lovely to handle and very placid. I have come to the sad conclusion that food rewards for him are not a good idea and I'm trying to restrict them to when he is in a pen being trained so that he doesn't accost anyone bearing a bag.
Caroline
Admin

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: