Entire males living together

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Entire males living together

Post  Terry on Thu May 17, 2012 10:18 pm

I have had a question via my own website from a non-member who has recently acquired three male llamas, now 15 months, 16 months and 21 months. She is not planning to get more llamas and wonder if she will have to have these neutered or whether they will get along without. At present all three seem to live peacefully together.
I have no experience in this area and would appreciate any comments.

Terry

Terry

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-04-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Male llamas living together

Post  vicki woodward on Fri May 18, 2012 8:31 am

Hi Terry
We have had all six of our boys living together until recently when we took our older stud male out of the field because he needs to rest due to an arthritis flare up. The six boys consist of 1 stud aged 13, one rising stud aged 3, 2 entires aged about 2 and two gelded boys. They all get along fine. Two things which make this situation work are
1) The girls are well away from the boys, they can't see or hear them at all
2) The fighting teeth are checked regularly, we also check for any signs of fighting, but once the initial 'pecking order' was established we have had no problems at all
Our stud is such a laid back boy and a great guardian too, he looks after the rest of his herd very well and I have seen him step in if there is a hint of trouble. The field they are in is about 3.5 acres so they have plenty of room to run and 'play'.
I would say in my experience as long as there is no female within sight or smell they will probably get along fine but also because of my own past experience I would keep a close eye on the fighting teeth and make sure they don't grow, they can cause serious injury!
Hope this helps
Vicki
vicki woodward

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-09-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Entire Males Living Together

Post  Robert Dewar on Fri May 18, 2012 9:36 am

I'd take a cautious approach to this.
Does the owner know anything about the breeding of the three males? Is there any in-breeding in their lines?
Until the owner took them in were the llamas handled and haltered reasonably regularly?
Might the owner consider breeding?
My fall-back position would be to castrate male llamas at 18 months unless there were good reasons to keep them entire. A gelded llama is a happy llama.

Robert Dewar

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-01-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Thank you ..and more..

Post  Terry on Fri May 18, 2012 4:27 pm

Thank you, Vicki and Robert; that was helpful. I will pass your comments onto my enquirer.

But, Robert, I'm puzzled! Whilst we all know the dangers of interbreeding, does in-breeding, even close in-breeding, make any difference to how the full males co-exist? Can they sense and react to prior interbreeding in one another? ? ? This sounds interesting.

To my knowledge the owner in question has no plans to breed. Her question is solely about how well her boys will get on together as unneutered pasture mates.
I have the feeling that many animal owners of numerous species: cats, dogs, horses, rabbits, lesser-spotted porcupines..you name them..are reluctant to castrate, even feel it's morally wrong to castrate, unless it is undeniably to the animal's advantage. These are not necessarily my views, but I suspect it might be the stance of this owner, whose views I respect.

Terry

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2009-04-09

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Entire males living together

Post  Caroline on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:17 pm

This is far too late to be of use, but may still be of interest.

My two geldings are half-brothers, with the same father. I had them castrated when I did purely because I couldn't wait any longer; they seemed to be tearing one another limb from limb and I was afraid of ragged ears at the very least. My field sounded like an abattoir when they attacked one another and I used to be afraid of what passing people would think was going on, although I have to admit that most of the noise came during the chase, not the fight.
Caroline
Admin

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum