Llama coughing

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Llama coughing

Post  Icntoan on Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:45 am

Hi
We have a problem with one of our llamas at the moment and would be very grateful for any advice. He seems to make a coughing noise every once in a while. It almost sounds like a little hiccup. He has been doing this for 2 days now. We are due to get the vet in soon for their jabs etc but wondered if we should get them in sooner.
Has anyone come across this type of thing before?
Thanks

Icntoan

Number of posts: 2
Registration date: 2012-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Llama coughing

Post  Robert Dewar on Thu Sep 20, 2012 7:48 am

I have no vet erinary experience and am just a llama owner, but in the absence of replies from vets, I can only suggest what I would do. If my llama had a cough or hiccup that was unidentified and that had continued for more than a couple of days I'd call my vet. Better to know if there's something wrong that may be treated than worry about it for a spell.
But, trust you receive fuller advice from a better source.

Robert Dewar

Number of posts: 19
Registration date: 2009-01-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Llama coughing

Post  Icntoan on Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:08 pm

Hi Robert
Thanks for your reply. Luckily the "hiccup" only lasted 2 days and then disappeared. The vet is coming for a routine visit tomorrow for jabs/worming etc so will just check with him too. They are a worry at times aren't they?

I do wonder what caused it though. He has always been a bit of a gobbler when it comes to food pig

Thanks again for taking the time to reply. It is always good to hear other people's experience.

Ali

Icntoan

Number of posts: 2
Registration date: 2012-09-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Llama coughing

Post  Caroline on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:12 pm

Just a thought - I (personally, not my llamas) have had hiccoughs before that have come and gone over a week or more before finally going. I suspect, with no evidence to back me up, that a nerve in the diaphragm gets irritated in some way. It seems to me the same kind of thing as when you get a tickly (rather than infected) cough for a while, or when a facial muscle has a tic.

Caroline

Number of posts: 29
Registration date: 2009-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum