Info on Worming

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Info on Worming

Post  Kat S on Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:52 am

Hello, I am a relatively new llama owner (6 months) and I'm interested to hear peoples opinions/experiences of worming, brands of wormer and methods of worming eg. drench, pour on, injection etc. Which do you find to be the most/least effective? How frequnetly do you rotate wormers?
Could somebody tell me what type of worms llamas are susceptible to? I have tried looking online but have only found information from US sites, I presume we have slightly different worms over here?
Thanks Very Happy

Kat S

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2012-06-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Info on Worming

Post  Robert Dewar on Fri Nov 02, 2012 7:37 pm

We don't routinely worm our llamas. Rather, we take regular dung samples - perhaps four times a year - have these tested at a good lab, and respond accordingly. If treatment is required we talk to our vet and take her advice.
I think, generally, it is a mistake to routinely worm llamas. It is better to treat when needed.
This opens up the question of 'prevention is better than cure' - and low stocking rates are good, together with low stress levels. Young llamas, or those that are generally poorly, may have higher worm burden and taking dung samples from these llamas is a particularly good idea.

Robert Dewar

Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2009-01-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Worming

Post  REGISTRAR on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:34 am

We have always wormed annually with Panomec or Panacur. In 2011 our "new" vet. used Dectomax and unfortunately three months later 2 died due to heavy worm burden. So there is a great debate as to "regular" worming as clearly a resistance to certain anthelmetics is occurring. Ours are always injected, but I have found that the use of Panacur paste mixed in with some Alpaca mix goes down very well. Taking faecal samples regularly and checking for evidence of worms is important and THEN treat for worms if found present is probably the way to avoid resistance in the future.

Vivienne Ives

REGISTRAR
Admin

Number of posts : 171
Registration date : 2008-09-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Info on Worming

Post  Caroline on Mon Sep 09, 2013 6:06 pm

My vet recommends testing dung before worming and, following that advice, I only had to treat my llamas once when they were little; there have been zero worms since then.

I give my llamas a pinch of garlic granules or flakes (for horses) every few days in some camelid mix, and maybe it is that that is keeping the worms at bay. There is lots about it on the internet, mostly saying that it won't cure worms that are present but that it will prevent them from getting a hold again.

When I did worm mine, just the once, I used Dectomax pour-on (for cattle). They say that it isn't known whether it works or not on llamas but I did faecal tests before and after and it was good.

If you do need to treat, get veterinary advice because llamas need double the dose per kg body weight compared with cattle and under-dosing is the biggest cause of worrm resistance.

Resistance varies from area to area and even farm to farm, so don't just do what works for any of us without talking to your vet. Good luck.

Another thought from a vet - don't treat all your animals if they don't all need it, or else all the worms that remain and breed are going to be resistant ones.
Caroline
Admin

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum