Housing Males

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Housing Males

Post  dundasmarty on Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:28 am

I have heard different reports about grouping males together. Some say they will fight, others that they will live peacefully together. I am thinking about grouping some younger males with an elder male. Any suggestions or dos and don'ts.

dundasmarty

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2009-11-17

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Housing Males

Post  Chrisa on Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:37 pm

Hio there

I have a group of 8 males living very happily together. I introduce new males by putting them in an adjoining field so they get to know each other and then go for it.

I've only had 1 bad experience & that was when a female jumped into their field. One of the entire males became very possessive and kept chasing everyone (me included) away from her until I could catch her & put her back into her own field. They all then settled down again & I've had no problems since!

Chris

Chrisa

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Housing males

Post  Vivienne on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:16 pm

Hi
We had two geldings and an entire male who lived very happily together for 6 years - until the entire was put to work!! After that his sole aim was to take the two geldings out, even if there was a field between him the girls and the geldings. Seems to me its the girls who cause the trouble!!

Vivienne

Back to top Go down

Re: Housing Males

Post  Lorna on Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:48 pm

Hi Marty,

Hope things are well with you.
We've mixed all kinds of animals and on on the whole it's OK. As the bad weather came and competition for the shelter and haylage topped up we've spilt them up. The "butch" boys, 1 >10yrs entire, 1 3yr entire, 1 5yr gelding and 2 2yr entires all settle together with not arguments. The other castrate boys are in with the female llamas without any trouble. Not something I've done before but my 22+yr old male like to be inside most of the time as does the 24yr old female so everyone had to have access to the big shed.

We work by personalities rather than age or sex with the males

Good Luck
Lorna

Lorna

Back to top Go down

Housing males

Post  Marty on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:36 pm

Thanks everyone, very helpful. I introduced 1 castrated 3 year old and 1 2 year old entire with a 7 year old dominant entire male, with no females in sight. Not a problem at all. Some standoffs occasionaly - mostly over food, but no fighting at all - touch wood!

Marty

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum