Winter Feed

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Winter Feed

Post  Richard on Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:36 pm

I don't know if any other member who read the article on Supplementing Llama Feeds in the Winter edition of Llama Link was left with the same degree of neurosis about their llamas as me, but as a newcomer to llama husbandry it left me feeling anxious about all the seeminlgy necessary checks and balances to keep such animals healthy. It was never such a problem in all the years I kept goats, so I would be interested to learn if many members have actually experienced cases of their llamas being mineral or vitamin deficient and how many simply take preventative action (such as vitmain injections) beyond camelid perparatory food and a lick, just as a precaution.

Richard

Back to top Go down

Re: Winter Feed

Post  Caroline on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:14 pm

I had the same reaction!
Caroline
Admin

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2009-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mlonghurst on Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:20 pm

During the winter we feed our llamas unlimited good hay, 2 x small portions of goat mix (slightly larger portions for the heavily pregnant females), a selenium mix in their water buts and we place a multi mineral block in each of their stables. We also give them carrots, Swede and diced apples occasionally, but we have never had occasion to give them any other supplements be this either injection or orally and we have never had any problems.

Rgds, Mike L

mlonghurst

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Winter feed

Post  Marty on Fri Mar 19, 2010 12:42 pm

Mine live on grass alone for most of the year - but we do have lots of space. In the winter they get hay 3 times a week, every day in the snow or heavy frosts, and 'pygmy goat mix' on the other days. They keep their condition through the winter. I find they are easier than sheep to kept fed as they eat much coarser material, right up to dead leaves and twigs. For this reason they have a wider range of nutrients entering their system, than sheep which eat grass only.

Marty

Back to top Go down

Post  mlonghurst on Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:33 pm

We have Shetland Sheep and find them a ideal companion animal for our llamas, like the llamas the breed are browsers and not just grass grazers. The sheep and llamas between them keep all the hedges in check, almost kill off all the brambles (the llamas particularly love the new shoots and bramble leaves) and they also eat all the heads of any thistles before they seed and save us having to cut them down each year (which is a requirement by law here in France). We are also fortunate in that the llamas do not seem to like the sheep feed we use and the the sheep do not get a chance at the llama feed, so no one goes short. Very Happy

Rgds, Mike L

mlonghurst

Number of posts : 62
Registration date : 2009-08-28

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum: